1. Fingal Beach is ideal as it is close to parking areas, safe, clean and full of fish. Kiddies Corner at the southernmost end is ideal for the entire fa…mily to target whiting, bream and flathead. A rising tide, dusk and dawn are the best times so wake the troops early and arrive before the rush or fish into the darkness of the evening. The entire beach is family fishing friendly. Park in the southern corner or at the surf club.
2. Nelson Bay breakwall and the Fishermans Wharf at the end of Teramby Street in Nelson Bay always have a surprise in store. Bream, trevally, flathead and the odd snapper will keep the kids entertained for hours.
3. All the jetties throughout the Port attract fish. Salamander, Taylors Beach, Lemon Tree Passage and Karuah are great bream and flathead spots. Fishing off a jetty is great fun and always gives the kids a chance to catch a thumper.
4. Those who have a boat and are keen for a peaceful day’s outing inside the port, load up with worms and head for any of the channels west of Soldiers Point. The trumpeter whiting are out of control. Simply drift around Tilligerry Creek, Bull Island or the entrance to the Karuah River and hang on. Don’t be surprised to hook a flathead or a lively bream.
5. The entire foreshore from Wanda Beach to Shoal Bay offers safe family fishing.
The rising tide encourages flathead to swim into the shallows along with their mates, whiting and bream. The main concern when taking kids fishing is safety so my advice is to stay well clear of rock fishing, even in the calmest conditions. There are plenty of places to fish so give the rocks a miss. Enjoy your break.
Extract from Article by: STINKER